Can I drive a motorhome on a regular license in New Zealand?

Author: RV Super Centre   Date Posted: 31 December 2016


Yes, you can drive most of motorhomes and campervans with a standard NZ full car license.

If you hold a full class 1 New Zealand driver license you can drive motorhomes with a Gross Laden Weight (GLW) or Gross Combined Weight 6000kg or less.

If you are on a Learner or Restricted class 1 license, you are allowed to drive motorhomes with a GLW 6000kg or less, but with an on-road weight 4500kg or less.


If you are a foreigner, you also can legally drive in New Zealand with a current drivers license from your home country or an International Driving Permit (IDP). You can drive a rental campervan or motorhome with a TARE weight of up to 4.5 tonnes on a full car license even if there’s a lower weight limit on your drivers license. If you will be using an overseas drivers license that’s not in English, you’ll need to get an English translation or an IDP, and carry both.

Your overseas drivers license is valid for one year from the date that you enter New Zealand.

For more details about New Zealand driver license classes, please visit the NZ Transport Agency's website.


Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up