Warrant Of Fitness or Certificate Of Fitness?

Author: RV Super Centre   Date Posted: 1 January 2017


Motorhomes include many different types of vehicles, ranging from bus conversions to purpose-built vehicles. The standards and safety requirements your motorhome needs to meet depend on its vehicle class.

If your campervan is less than 3500Kg's then the vehicle requires a Warrant Of Fitness (WOF),  the same as a conventional family car. This is obtained through approved private garages and vehicle testing stations. If your motorhome is over 3500kg it must meet specific requirements for brakes, tyres and steering and will need a Certificate Of Fitness (COF). It also needs to meet motorhome safety belt requirements. A COF can be obtained from VTNZ, VINZ and on road testing stations. Both VTNZ and VINZ give discounts to financial NZMCA members.

N.B.: if your vehicle weighs less than 3500kg but is to be used as rental,  WOF will not suffice and it will require a COF.


If your vehicle is for personal use only, you need to bring it in for a COF every six months.


Here is a list of items that are usually tested before your vehicle gets certified:

  • Wheel and tyre condition
  • Mudguards & mudflaps
  • Brake performance and condition
  • Structural condition
  • Lighting performance and condition
  • Glazing
  • Windscreen washers and wipers
  • Doors
  • Safety belts
  • Occupant protection systems
  • Speedometer
  • Steering and suspension
  • Exhaust condition and performance
  • Fuel system condition
  • Towing connections
  • Load archorage systems
  • Stock crate and crate retention system condition


Related Products and Accessories

Wurth KD Bond and Seal White 300ml

More Details

Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up